New class rules published for the removal of One Design Sails.
Tornado Class Rules Updated
New Tornado Class Rules have been published in January 2014 to removal the One Design Sails rule which was implemented in April 2013.
The updated rule book can be found on the Tornado Class website – http://www.tornado-class.org/the-class/tornado-class-rules/
The update was based on the discussions at the 2013 AGM held in Ibiza in September where members allowed the ITA committee to remove the One Design Sails rule which so many sailors have been unhappy about. The notes from that meeting can be found here – 2013 Tornado Class AGM Minutes
To give a quick overview:
- Sails no longer have a fixed price until 2017
- Ullman Sails Italy are no longer the only sail supplier (they still sell Tornado sails)
- Any sail maker or individual can now make Tornado sails providing they meet the class rules
- Sail makers and individuals will have to purchase a licence from the ITA for each sail at a cost of 30 EURO each
- Old sails are grandfathered and will still be class legal
- Sail prices are likely to now increase
If you’re a sail maker and would like a licence please contact the ITA secretary by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org